Summer Policy Institute Application Questions
This is a preview of the application questions. If you wish to apply to the Summer Policy Institute click here.
The Institute is open to any undergraduate or graduate student at an Oklahoma college or university, or graduate from an Oklahoma high school, who has completed a minimum of 24 hours of college credit.
Has graduated from a graduate or undergraduate program after December 2015.
Participants are chosen by a competitive application process aimed at selecting students with strong academics, robust community involvement, and a clear interest in the study and practice of public policy. Particular emphasis is given to selecting participants from a range of institutions, fields, geographic and cultural backgrounds, and life experiences.
OK Policy is fully committed to cultural diversity and equal opportunity. It is OK Policy’s procedure to make opportunities available to a wide-range of diverse individuals without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, HIV status, any condition defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”), marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or citizenship status. OK Policy is committed to providing a program environment free of bias based on the above classifications, and to complying with the ADA and the policies and directives of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, to the extent applicable. All OK Policy employees and program participants are expected to support this policy.
Basics and Contact Information
- What’s your first name?
- What do you like to be called?
- What’s your last name?
- And what’s your primary email address?
- And what’s a good secondary email address? (optional)
- What’s the best phone number to reach you?
- What’s a good secondary phone number? (optional)
- Please select from among the racial/ethnic/cultural identity categories listed below, and/or provide information to describe yourself.
- Please select from among the gender identities listed below, and/or provide information to describe yourself.
- What are your preferred personal pronouns?
- Where did you graduate from high school? Please list the name of your high school and the city it was located. If outside of Oklahoma, please also list the state.
- When did you graduate from high school?
- Do you already have any post-secondary degrees? Please list any post-secondary degrees you have already earned; list degree, institution, and year (example below).
- About how many hours of coursework have you completed since graduating from high school?
- At which institution are you currently enrolled?
- Tell us about the degree you’re pursuing.
- When do you expect to graduate?
- Please list any coursework that you’ve completed that you see as relevant to the Summer Policy Institute.
Interests and Activities
- Please list and/or describe your extracurricular activities and community involvement. Include activities, awards, honors, group participation and volunteerism, achievements, etc.
- Please list and/or describe any past or current employment that you think is relevant.
- List three references with contact information. Please list Title/Position, Phone, Email, and their relationship to you.
- In 100-300 words, describe your personal history and background.
- This answer should give us some insight into who you are, what your life experience has been. In the next essay question, you’ll tell us about why you want to attend, your specific policy interests, and what you hope to take away from the Institute – so save that for now.
- In 100-300 words, tell us why you want to attend the Summer Policy Institute, your primary policy interests, and what you hope to take away from the Institute – including what you hope to do with the knowledge and expertise you acquire by attending.
- If you are accepted, will you be able to cover your SPI tuition? No one will be denied acceptance because of inability to pay.
- Do you have any special needs or circumstances that you’d like us to be aware of regarding your application or your participation in the Institute (this has no bearing on acceptance)?
- Do you have any questions for us?