Advocacy Alert: Pass revenues to help the budget, give teachers a raise, and support working families
February 12th, 2018
As soon as today, we expect votes on a key set of revenue bills in the Oklahoma House:
- HB 1030 will give teachers in Oklahoma a long-overdue $5,000 raise.
- HB 1033 will pay for that raise by increasing gas taxes, tobacco taxes, and taxes on the energy industry. The teacher raises in HB 1030 will not go into effect unless this bill also passes.
- HB 1037 will undo cuts to Oklahoma’s Earned Income Tax Credit and make other changes to the income tax that will increase overall recurring revenues while reducing taxes on low- and moderate-income working families.
Together these bills will stabilize the budget with recurring revenues, provide a teacher raise, and support working families. We expect the vote to be close!
What You Can Do
Please contact your House member today and ask her or him to support HB 1030, HB 1033, and HB 1037.
Passing these bills is a necessary start to solving Oklahoma’s budget problems. These measures will bring immediate benefits and strengthen our ability to push for greater progress in the future — like providing a raise to state workers and reducing the waiting lists for Oklahomans with disabilities or mental illness. When you contact your legislator to support HB 1030, HB 1033, and HB 1037, be sure to share how the failure to resolve the budget crisis will affect your family, your business, or your community.
- Special Session Frequently Asked Questions
- Statement: Changes to Step Up income tax plan will bolster working families