Oklahoma Policy Institute (OK Policy) is seeking an experienced and effective policy analyst to lead our work advancing equitable and fiscally responsible budget and tax policies that will expand opportunity for all Oklahomans through non-partisan research and analysis.
The application deadline for this position is Thursday, April 11, 2019. You will be asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples.
For a PDF version of this Job Description, please click here.
As our budget and tax policy analyst, your primary responsibilities will include:
- Conducting research and analysis of policy issues related to the state budget and taxes;
- Preparing, writing, and disseminating high-quality research-based blog posts, issue briefs, fact sheets, opinion pieces, and other materials;
- Collaborating closely with OK Policy’s policy, communication, and outreach staff on budget and tax issues that affect our core areas of engagement (education, health care, criminal justice, economic opportunity);
- Monitoring and developing strategic responses to state and national policy developments;
- Preparing and conducting presentations and briefings for policymakers, community organizations, advocacy groups, and others.
Your secondary responsibilities for this position may include:
- Helping plan and participate in OK Policy events;
- Participating in coalitions of key stakeholders and assisting with OK Policy outreach and advocacy efforts in relevant issue areas;
- Assisting in developing the organization’s policy priorities;
- Assisting with grant preparation and reporting as needed;
- Attending conferences, trainings, and other professional development opportunities as available.
You will be well-suited to be a successful budget and tax policy analyst [or member of our team] if you are/can:
- Strongly commitment to the mission, goals, and values of Oklahoma Policy Institute;
- Self-motivated and work with a high degree of independence;
- Comfortable and effective working as part of a culturally diverse staff and alongside diverse community partners;
- Synthesize complex data into clear and coherent analysis;
- Prioritize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Focus on details without losing sight of “the big picture”.
You will be a highly-qualified candidate if you possess:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, public finance, economics, political science, or related field, or a professional degree;
- Significant work or academic experience conducting research and analysis on budget and tax policy issues;
- First-hand familiarity with the Oklahoma policy environment, including the state Legislature, government agencies, and interest groups;
- Outstanding writing skills, including the ability to write effectively for multiple audiences;
- Strong research skills, with familiarity with statistics and quantitative methods preferred;
- Ability to communicate effectively one-on-one, in group settings, and in public presentations;
- Experience organizing complex projects involving a diverse group of partners and stakeholders;
- Relevant computer experience, including spreadsheets and project management tools.
This is a full-time position based in Tulsa. Candidates based outside of Tulsa may receive consideration and should be able to travel regularly to our main office in Tulsa.
The approximate start date for the position is June 1, 2019.
Salary commensurate with experience. OK Policy offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, retirement, and generous paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
The mission of OK Policy is to advance equitable and fiscally responsible policies leading to expanded opportunity for all Oklahomans through non-partisan research, analysis, and advocacy. You can learn more about OK Policy at okpolicy.org.
OK Policy is fully committed to cultural diversity and equal employment opportunity. It is our procedure to make employment opportunities available to a wide-range of diverse individuals without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, HIV status, any condition defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”), marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or citizenship status.
Questions about this position may be directed to email@example.com