NOTE: The search for this position closed on August 15, 2022.
Executive Director, Oklahoma Policy Institute
The position can be based in either Tulsa or Oklahoma City and is full-time; the position may require in-person presence in Oklahoma City during the legislative session.
Founded in 2008, the Oklahoma Policy Institute is an independent public policy research organization focused on advancing equitable and fiscally responsible policies for all Oklahomans through nonpartisan research, analysis, and advocacy. As the only organization of its kind serving Oklahoma, OK Policy has worked to provide elected officials, policymakers, and residents with fact-based research and analysis offering equitable opportunities for every Oklahoman to thrive.
OK Policy has earned widespread recognition as a trusted source of nonpartisan research and analysis of state policy issues. With a focus on state fiscal policy and economic security, OK Policy is extensively involved in advancing dialogue about state budget and tax policy, as well as health care, criminal justice, education, poverty, social insurance programs, tribal-state partnerships, economic opportunity, voting, and civic engagement.
OK Policy’s operations include:
- Together Oklahoma, the grassroots advocacy and outreach program;
- Open Justice Oklahoma, an initiative focused on research related to research and justice reform; and
- Serving as the Oklahoma affiliate for KIDS COUNT Network, a group of state-based child advocacy and research organizations focused on improving child well-being.
Through data-driven research, advocacy, and opening conversations to engage all Oklahomans, OK Policy and its affiliate programs seek to create a state where everyone can be healthy, raise thriving families, and live in safe communities regardless of the circumstances of their birth.
Organizational Structure and Budget
OK Policy has grown in the last six years from nine to 29 team members. Along with the Executive Director, the senior leadership team includes the Deputy Director, the Policy Director, the Legislative & Outreach Director, the Research Director, and the Communications Director, with more than 30 years combined experience with OK Policy.
The organization historically has operated its main office in Tulsa, but staff members have worked remotely from locations statewide since March 2020. Due to the organization’s success, and consequential growth, the average tenure of the full team is approximately three years; however, even the newest team members are quickly gaining reputations as experts in their issue areas.
OK Policy has a $2 million budget and receives approximately 86% of its annual revenue from state and national foundation grants. Additional significant revenue sources include individual contributions and special events.
The Executive Director reports to the board, which is currently comprised of 14 members from throughout the state. Board members represent a range of political affiliations and broad geographic communities, demographics, and personal and professional experiences.
For additional information about the organization and its work please visit OKPolicy.org.
OK Policy is looking for a leader who can build on the organization’s excellent reputation, cement the organization’s role as an integral part of Oklahoma’s nonprofit policy structure, and build the internal infrastructure to support the recent growth.
- Lead vision goal setting for the organization consistent with OK Policy’s strategic plan
- Maintain and build strong, diverse, and inclusive external relationships and partnerships at the local, state, and national levels.
- Engage the board to further the organization’s goals, including board recruitment and engagement.
- Ensure that the organization’s work and reputation continues to be high quality, and is communicated effectively to diverse audiences.
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization, while also providing opportunities for other team members to shine.
- Build on current initiatives to increase internal equity within the organization’s staffing structure, policies, organizational infrastructure, and professional development; ensure effective management and leadership of the day-to-day operations.
- Continue to invest in OK Policy’s efforts in fostering organizational teamwork, motivating and mentoring team members, and building a workplace culture rooted in integrity and kindness.
- Maintain the organization’s strong financial position and continue to diversify funding sources.
Experience and Attributes
The ideal candidate for this position will be a strong manager and leader with a deep commitment to the mission, goals, and values of OK Policy. Candidate skills and subject matter knowledge should include:
- Highly skilled and diplomatic consensus building with excellent listening and interpersonal skills; demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, including experience leading and integrating these initiatives into organizational policies, practices, and culture.
- The ability and patience to advance incremental change at the policy and legislative levels with broader long-term goals in sight.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and an effective public image; experience listening to and communicating with diverse groups and demonstrated success in communicating effectively in writing and verbally, including excellent public speaking skills for both formal and extemporaneous presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Track record of using data and policy analysis to inform and advocate for policy positions.
- Knowledge of and relationships with Oklahoma political leaders and process strongly preferred.
- Strong fundraiser with a proven track record in raising funds from private foundations required; familiarity with foundations funding policy advocacy preferred.
- Track record of working with and leading diverse efforts across race, class, and political affiliation preferred.
- No less than 5 years of senior leadership experience, including managing staff and building internal operations.
- The position can be based in either Tulsa or Oklahoma City and is full-time; the position may require in-person presence in Oklahoma City during the legislative session. This position can be either hybrid or in-office.
- Base salary range of $130K to $150K, depending on the candidate’s background and experience.
- Competitive benefit package including multiple health plan offerings, 13 paid holidays, generous PTO policies (including paid family leave), and premier retirement plan benefits.
OK Policy is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Please submit a resume and letter of interest via email by 5pm CST on Monday, August 15, 2022.
RE: OK Policy ED Search
Applicants will be contacted for further information.
Inquiries about the position can be directed to Liz Brolick, General Manager of ProRecruiters. 918-221-8264 or firstname.lastname@example.org