UPDATE: OK Policy has extended the deadline for its employment search until March 30 at 5:00 p.m. due to current events related to the coronavirus pandemic.
Job Title: OK Policy Storybanker
Location: Tulsa, OK
Reports To: Director of Communications
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Job Classification: Full-Time / Exempt
Purpose: The OK Policy Storybanker will tell the stories of Oklahomans who have been impacted by the health care coverage gap in order to help elected officials, policy makers, and the general public understand the need for smart health care policies in the state.
For a PDF version of this Job Description, please click here.
- Work in partnership with OK Policy team members, its Together Oklahoma advocacy program, and other allies to identify and connect with Oklahoma residents impacted by health care policy.
- Obtain their permission to share their story publicly.
- Attend community events and follow up on leads provided by TOK and OK Policy partners.
- Conduct in-person interviews with individuals and document their personal stories in writing (testimonials, summaries, short profiles, or other formats as needed), as well as possible video and/or audio storytelling.
- Document their stories respectfully and with ethical considerations while guarding confidentiality as appropriate.
- Video or photography skills are a plus to round out a complete storytelling package.
- Produce a storybook (digital and/or printed) for use in advocacy efforts to defend Medicaid at the federal and state levels.
- When requested by the OK Policy Communications Director, and in a timely manner, serve as a bridge to connect journalists and people in the storybank for print, radio, and/or TV interviews.
- Document all necessary permissions and waivers and maintain in an organized system.
- Develop and conduct trainings with self-advocates to enhance their ability to share their stories.
- Serve as the liaison with video production contractors for larger or more complex video storytelling projects involving storybank individuals, as needed.
Skills / Experience
- Dedication to OK Policy’s mission and a passion for economic justice and racial equity
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills especially in engaging and listening to others
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with experience writing for broad audiences; able to adopt style, tone, and voice accordingly when documenting peoples’ stories; ability to tell narrative stories in clear and compelling fashion
- Comfortable working on overlapping projects, prioritizing work, and meeting deadlines
- Well-organized and detail oriented
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel
- Demonstrated awareness of issues and initiatives that affect low-income people and an understanding of how to appropriately incorporate that into their work
- Experience establishing positive working relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations
- Experience producing content for the web, as well as channel-specific knowledge (blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Graphic design skills, especially experience working with programs like Adobe InDesign or Photoshop
- Photography skills
- Creating video/audio production using Adobe Premiere or similar software.
- Familiarity with effective interviewing techniques, including preparation, rapport, empathy, relevant questions and follow-up, and attentive listening
- Journalism experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; major or significant coursework in Communications, Journalism, Graphic Design, or related disciplines highly preferred.
- Related work experience is preferred; highly qualified candidates would have 3+ years of related work experience.
- Ability to travel throughout the state – up to 30% of working time
- Valid Driver’s License
- Physical effort/lifting requirements – up to 25 lbs., as needed
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed
- Position frequently requires the ability to sit, walk, and stand for extended periods of time
- Position continually requires the ability to talk and hear both in person and over audio devices
- Position continually requires visual acuity as well as hand and finger to operate equipment, read, and use a keyboard
OK Policy values its employees, and as such, offers competitive total compensation package which includes cash compensation and benefits.This position is eligible to participate in the following benefits: Cafeteria Plan: including health and dental insurance, retirement plans, health savings account (HSA), flexible spending accounts (FSA), dependent care accounts (DCA), and more. This position is also eligible for paid time-off (PTO) benefits.
Salary Range: $32,500-$40,000 (commensurate with experience)
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.