Oklahoma Policy Institute (OK Policy) is seeking an experienced and effective outreach and legislative liaison to lead our outreach work in Oklahoma City advancing policies that will expand opportunity for all Oklahomans.
As part of your primary responsibilities as our outreach and legislative liaison, you will:
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with legislators at the State Capitol and in other settings;
- Work constructively and creatively with legislators, lobbyists, advocates, and other stakeholders in pursuit of OK Policy’s legislative priorities
- Along with outreach and policy staff, assist in the development and implementation of a strategic vision for issue-based campaigns and coalitions;
- Attend legislative committee meetings and public meetings and hearings of state agencies;
- Remain actively informed on a broad range of legislative issues and ensure that OK Policy staff is kept informed of relevant developments at the Capitol.
As part of your secondary responsibilities for the position, you may:
- Help identify, recruit and partner with new members representing broad and diverse constituencies and lead meetings of Oklahoma Advocates Table (OAT);
- Give public presentations on the legislative process and other subjects as appropriate;
- Organize and participate in public events;
- Assist with development of fact sheets, talking points and other written materials related to issue-based policy for legislative needs;
- Assist with other OK Policy activities and projects.
You will be well-suited to be a successful outreach and legislative liaison if you are/can:
- Strongly commited to the mission, goals, and values of Oklahoma Policy Institute;
- Self-motivated and work with a high degree of independence;
- Comfortable and effective working as part of a culturally diverse staff and alongside diverse community partners;
- Synthesize complex data into clear and coherent analysis;
- Prioritize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Focus on details without losing sight of “the big picture”.
You will be a highly-qualified candidate if you possess:
- Knowledge of state legislative process and procedure and familiarity with Oklahoma policy issues;
- Demonstrable experience building diverse and effective alliances with a proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders;
- Demonstrable experience in local or state-level advocacy campaigns;
- Strong relationship management skills to collaborate and effectively work with legislators and stakeholders;
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral with an ability to explain complex information clearly and convincingly;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
This is a full-time position based in Oklahoma City with regular travel to our main office in Tulsa.
Salary range is $35,000-$47,000, commensurate with experience. OK Policy offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, retirement, and generous paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
To apply for this position, complete the application form below and upload a cover letter and resume.
The deadline to apply is Friday, June 21st. The approximate start date for the job will be August 1st.
The mission of OK Policy is to advance equitable and fiscally responsible policies leading to expanded opportunity for all Oklahomans through non-partisan research, analysis, and advocacy.
OK Policy is committed to building a more diverse and inclusive organization to fully represent and engage all Oklahomans. Recruiting staff that reflects the diversity of perspectives and experiences of Oklahoma is a priority. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse communities, constituencies, and identities, including but not limited to: people of all ethnic/racial backgrounds, people of all gender identities/gender expressions, people with disabilities, low-income and LGBTQ persons.