We know there are many worthy organizations and causes reaching out to you this time of year asking for support. Whether you are a first-time donor or long-time supporter, here are 5 reasons to make a tax-deductible donation to Oklahoma Policy Institute today.
1. Facts Matter: On the state policy issues that matter most – from the budget and taxes to health care, poverty, and criminal justice – you know you can always rely on OK Policy to put out reliable, research-driven data and analysis. Resources such as our Online Budget Guide, County Fact Sheets, and Legislative Primer, as well as our daily In The Know, are among the sources of information that you count on every day throughout the year to understand public affairs in Oklahoma. Your donation will help us continue to dig up and publicize the facts.
2. There are Two Sides to Every Debate: When one side controls the legislature and all statewide offices, competing perspectives can easily be overlooked or overwhelmed. Through our issue briefs, blog posts, op-ed columns, and presentations, OK Policy often is the most credible and compelling voice arguing the other side, whether it’s making the case for protecting our revenue base or opposing the expansion of predatory consumer loans. Your donation will ensure that two sides will continue to be heard.
3. 49th is Not OK: Even though Oklahoma’s economy is improving, about one out of every six Oklahomans, and more than one in five children, continue to live below the federal poverty level. On a whole range of health and social indicators, Oklahoma ranks among the states with the worst outcomes. One of OK Policy’s core convictions is that we need purposeful strategies aimed at expanding opportunities for all Oklahomans. We put forward thoughtful, practical policy proposals that will lead to a more prosperous, healthier, better educated state. Your support allows us to conduct the research and advocacy that will lead to better policy outcomes.
4. We’re Having an Impact: Not so long ago, OK Policy was a lonely voice sounding the alarm about the state’s structural budget deficit, the underfunding of state services, and the need for new permanent revenues. Today, thanks in part to OK Policy’s steady, effective work, these themes are expressed by elected officials from both parties and broad swaths of the population. While the state’s onerous supermajority requirement prevented passage of a widely-supported bipartisan revenue package last month, we’ve had some real victories, including repeal of the next scheduled income tax that would have further hampered efforts to bring the budget back into balance. Please donate now to help us continue to make a difference.
5. There’s More Work To Do: The year ahead is going to be an especially crucial one for Oklahoma. We will have the chance to enact long-pursued solutions to address chronic budget shortfalls, make our state tax system fairer, and revisit State Question 640. At the same time, critical medical and food safety net programs serving hundreds of thousands of Oklahomans will be under unprecedented threats from federal and state lawmakers. We need your help to marshal the research and coordinate the advocacy that will ensure real progress is made in 2018.
We hope this is reason enough to convince you to make a one-time or recurring year-end donation to OK Policy We greatly appreciate your support, and wish you all the best during the holiday season.